Brand Factory Tour and Museum
Tabasco sauce was first produced in 1868 by Edmund McIlhenny, a Maryland-born former banker who moved to Louisiana around 1840. McIlhenny initially used discarded cologne bottles to distribute his sauce to family and friends. Visitors to the now famous Tabasco factory at Avery Island begin their tour at the Visitors Center and then move about the property on a 10-stop self-guided tour of the greenhouse, the barrel warehouse and the factory building and more, discovering that the secret of this amazing sauce is that while the process is surprisingly simple, it requires a dedication to quality, consistency and patience that make it impossible to replicate. This exhibit included casework, deck structures for vignettes, artifact mounts, graphics, interactives and even some larger than life Tabasco bottles and pepper reproductions.
Opened January 2016